Even though the weather was a tad drier yesterday, this summer heat has me feeling a bit sad about the gardens. There hasn’t been a ton of energy to go and battle the inevitable weeds and upkeep in the perennial borders. So why not hum to Julie Andrews, “When I'm feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad.” So from the top: here are a few of my favorite things that are blooming right now in my garden. Visit the previous posts for some images and info.
* Hydrangea ‘Unique’ http://blog.bilowzassociates.com/2009/07/height-of-hydrangea-season.html This is peak hydrangea season. There are many new developments and varieties in this genus so go beyond the lace caps.
* Crocosmia ‘Lucifer’ http://blog.bilowzassociates.com/2009/07/dividing-up-candy-bar.html This is one of my favorite summer perennials because it has a red-hot color and its texture and height make any border sing.
* Rudbeckia hirta (Black-eyed Susan) and Echinacea purpurea, (Cone flower). These plants are great for hot, dry conditions; perfect choices for cut flower arrangements.
* The genus Hemerocallis: Daylilies and Daylilies and Daylilies
These are my more recent posts on Daylilies but check out Annie’s archives for great haunts to purchase your colors and forms. Now is the time to get your Daylilies.
* Who can forget the pig weed? It is supposedly good for a spinach substitute. So before it goes to seed, give it a go. I haven’t ventured there yet but if some things fail in the veggie garden, I just may go to my test kitchen and whip up a batch of sautéed pig weed.
If the heat has you down, look around and see what colors and textures make you chipper. When the weather moderates, it’s time to start dividing and spreading your favorite things around the garden. Or better yet, take a trip to the local nursery for some new mid-summer splash. Don’t forget to post your favorite things in your garden. I would love to hear what makes you sing.
Have to scoot. I’m due to perform on the hilltop in five.
Image from the Internet
BILOWZ ASSOCIATES INC. is an award winning landscape architectural design firm with a proven philosophy: "Creating Design with Harmony & Balance."
Our company blog, Annie's Gardening Corner, takes a sneak peek at how we balance our own love for everything green + a place to find inspiration, garden ideas and landscape design tips.
To browse our award winning landscape design portfolios, click on our company website at WWW.BILOWZASSOCIATES.COM
- Check in for your daily share's worth of garden
inspiration, landscape architecture and design tips; always original, not
cookie cutter and copied. Just like our design work, we strive for unique!
We invite you to contact Bilowz
Associates, Inc., or to browse
our portfolios. Like our
Facebook follow on Twitter or
subscribe to the blog to receive posts daily via email or a feed. You can
follow with visuals on Pinterest
and find us on LinkedIn
too. You can also find us back on
Business Page. (Landscape architects/Landscape Design/serving Massachusetts
and New England.) Visit our landscape architectural design firm's website where creating design with balance and harmony is our story. http://www.bilowzassociates.
© 2009 Ann St. Jean-Bilowz/Bilowz Associates Inc. (including all photographs, unless otherwise noted in Annie's Gardening Corner are the property of Bilowz Associates Inc. and shall not be reproduced in any manner nor are they to be assigned to any third party without the expressed written permission and consent of Bilowz Associates Inc.)