BILOWZ ASSOCIATES INC. is an award winning landscape architectural design firm with a proven philosophy: "Creating Design with Harmony & Balance."
Our company blog, Annie's Gardening Corner, takes a sneak peek at how we balance our own love for everything green + a place to find inspiration, garden ideas and landscape design tips.
To browse our award winning landscape design portfolios, click on our company website at WWW.BILOWZASSOCIATES.COM
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Put All Your Ducks in a Row
Despite the unseasonably warm, dry weather, that mid-summer lull is upon us. It’s time to put your ducks in a row and start that initial check-list before snow flies.
1) Fertilize your perennial garden. Now is the time to recharge your plants. After a long, hard growing season, you want to give them an extra boost to store enough food for surviving the upcoming winter. In the course of a growing season, herbaceous plant material goes through a lot of nutrients.
2) Deadhead the flower beds. Remove any diseased plant material and always properly dispose in a bag, not in your compost bin.
3) Can your fruits and vegetables. If your freezer is at explode-overload like ours, the canning option keeps that summer freshness for those cold days that lie ahead. It’s a bit more time consuming but don’t forget these jars can make extra stocking stuffers during the holidays.
4) And last but not least, don’t forget to water. If your plants look tired and parched, supplementary irrigation is critical. Even many drought-tolerant plants are suffering in this heat. So don’t ignore the signs of moisture-stress. The weather typically moderates around the end of September. Help bridge the late summer gap and keep your plants healthy.
Today’s inspirational thought is brought to you by Michael Caine. “Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like the dickens underneath.” That’s the life of a gardener in a nutshell.
Duck Photo by Caitlan Davis, taken at Mont Royal, Montreal. For her first clicks, without any knowledge of the equipment, Cait did an amazing job. She has a natural eye with the camera.
- Check in for your daily share's worth of garden
inspiration, landscape architecture and design tips; always original, not
cookie cutter and copied. Just like our design work, we strive for unique!
We invite you to contact Bilowz
Associates, Inc., or to browse
our portfolios. Like our
Facebook follow on Twitter or
subscribe to the blog to receive posts daily via email or a feed. You can
follow with visuals on Pinterest
and find us on LinkedIn
too. You can also find us back on
Business Page. (Landscape architects/Landscape Design/serving Massachusetts
and New England.) Visit our landscape architectural design firm's website where creating design with balance and harmony is our story. http://www.bilowzassociates.
© 2009 Ann St. Jean-Bilowz/Bilowz Associates Inc. (including all photographs, unless otherwise noted in Annie's Gardening Corner are the property of Bilowz Associates Inc. and shall not be reproduced in any manner nor are they to be assigned to any third party without the expressed written permission and consent of Bilowz Associates Inc.)