BILOWZ ASSOCIATES INC. is an award winning landscape architectural design firm with a proven philosophy: "Creating Design with Harmony & Balance."
Our company blog, Annie's Gardening Corner, takes a sneak peek at how we balance our own love for everything green + a place to find inspiration, garden ideas and landscape design tips.
To browse our award winning landscape design portfolios, click on our company website at WWW.BILOWZASSOCIATES.COM
Thursday, June 10, 2010
What’s in Store for our Gardens?
In today’s news, despite recent cooler temperatures, the WBZ meteorologists said this has been the warmest Northeast spring on record. http://wbztv.com/local/record.warm.spring.2.1743079.html
So what is in store for our gardens? In terms of flower bloom, everything has been accelerated this year. One orchard grower said earlier in the season if the weather continued, “Petal drop (after apple blossom) was last week. And next week, we will be open for picking.”
With that said, here are a few vegetable growing tips for the above average spring temperatures:
1) Remove sucker growth to keep the tomato vines clean so the energy is put into developing the fruit.
2) Make sure the tomato vines are properly supported with ties.
3) If you are growing lettuce, make sure you provide ample water. If it is too dry during the warm spells, lettuce becomes tough and bitter.
4) If you are growing potatoes, you must mound them. The warm weather and moisture has potatoes growing at record pace. After the second mounding, mulch them in for the season.
5) This is a great time to direct seed many warm season crops including beans. The soil is moist and warm. One of our rows germinated in three days!
Stay on top of your garden and keep an eye on diseases and insect problems. Many times they grow as fast as the garden. Enjoy the rainy day. As one of my favorite Scottish comedians, Billy Connelly says, “In Scotland, there is no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes.” If you have ever been to Scotland or close to its border, you get it!
P.S. Don’t forget that Dads can get free weekend garden admission (June 19-20) at Tower Hill Botanical Garden, Boylston, MA. Start planning your activities for Dad’s day out.
Image from Internet
- Check in for your daily share's worth of garden
inspiration, landscape architecture and design tips; always original, not
cookie cutter and copied. Just like our design work, we strive for unique!
We invite you to contact Bilowz
Associates, Inc., or to browse
our portfolios. Like our
Facebook follow on Twitter or
subscribe to the blog to receive posts daily via email or a feed. You can
follow with visuals on Pinterest
and find us on LinkedIn
too. You can also find us back on
Business Page. (Landscape architects/Landscape Design/serving Massachusetts
and New England.) Visit our landscape architectural design firm's website where creating design with balance and harmony is our story. http://www.bilowzassociates.
© 2009 Ann St. Jean-Bilowz/Bilowz Associates Inc. (including all photographs, unless otherwise noted in Annie's Gardening Corner are the property of Bilowz Associates Inc. and shall not be reproduced in any manner nor are they to be assigned to any third party without the expressed written permission and consent of Bilowz Associates Inc.)