This week’s weather is just the tickler – the start of spring is literally at our doorsteps and with it comes all the chores of ‘dolling up’ our outdoor spaces. A few quick tips for the avid gardener just itching to dig in the dirt:
* Clean and sharpen your garden tools. Replace any rusty or broken equipment.
* Check all your small engine power tools. Fill them with fresh fuel and let them run for a bit. If they need repair work, now is the time to send them to the shop (mowers, rototillers, leaf blowers etc.) Good ear protection is often overlooked when using these tools. Pick up a quality pair to save your hearing.
* Remove all the dead branches from your garden.
* Remove any leaves or leaf litter built up on your lawn.
* Aerate your compost pile.
* Prune your roses and remove any mounding materials.
* Clean up your beds. With rising temperatures, it is tempting to clean up your perennial borders. Word of caution – don’t uncover them too early. A little bit of protection from late season frost could save some of your tender, more delicate perennials. You want your plants to come out of dormancy slowly so allow the spring weather to be a permanent fixture rather than a fluctuating moment. (Tip of the Day from our Facebook Fan Page – 3/11/10)
It’s a wrap. Let’s end the week with an Irish blessing. “May you always walk in sunshine, May you never want for more. May Irish angels rest their wings right beside your door.” Get out and take advantage of the stellar weekend weather. No excuses. And don’t forget, if you want extra tips, discussion and information not found in Annie’s Gardening Corner, join our Facebook Fan Page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bilowz-Associates-Inc-Our-Blog-Annies-Gardening-Corner/325316334444
BILOWZ ASSOCIATES INC. is an award winning landscape architectural design firm with a proven philosophy: "Creating Design with Harmony & Balance."
Our company blog, Annie's Gardening Corner, takes a sneak peek at how we balance our own love for everything green + a place to find inspiration, garden ideas and landscape design tips.
To browse our award winning landscape design portfolios, click on our company website at WWW.BILOWZASSOCIATES.COM
© 2009 Ann St. Jean-Bilowz/Bilowz Associates Inc. (including all photographs, unless otherwise noted in Annie's Gardening Corner are the property of Bilowz Associates Inc. and shall not be reproduced in any manner nor are they to be assigned to any third party without the expressed written permission and consent of Bilowz Associates Inc.)